Connecting to the world by air from the North Country is simple with several airports nearby.
- Located just south of Plattsburgh on the site of the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base, Plattsburgh International Airport has two United Airlines flights daily to Dulles in Washington, D.C. providing one stop connection nationally and globally.
- Plattsburgh International’s Fixed Base Operator (FBO) offers services for charter, private, and corporate aircraft.
- The airport has customs clearance on site for easy entry from international destinations for private and charter aircraft.
- For flights to Europe, Asia and other international destinations Trudeau International is an excellent option. Montreal is just 60 miles (100 kilometers) from Plattsburgh. The airport offers nonstop service to many major cities including London, Paris, NYC, and Beijing.
- Just one hour from Plattsburgh, Burlington International offers flights to several U.S. hubs including Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Charlotte, and Washington, DC with multiple airlines.
- About 2.5 hours from Plattsburgh, Albany International offers flights to several U.S. cities and is served by Southwest Airlines.
Canadian Pacific Rail
The region is serviced by Canadian Pacific Rail on a line connecting western Canada to Montreal south through Plattsburgh and then on to NYC. Canadian National connects to the line in Montreal and CSX is connected to the south in the Albany/Schenectady area. The CP rail line crosses the Canada/U.S. border at Champlain.
- 7th busiest Rail Freight crossing by volume on the US/Canada border
- Volume of rail freight at the Champlain/Lacolle crossing increased 175% from 2000-2010
Canadian Pacific Railway (CP Rail)
Canadian National Railway (CN Rail)
South Junction Enterprises (Transloading Service)
Lake Champlain Ferries
- Grand Isle, VT to Plattsburgh, NY is our northernmost Crossing on Lake Champlain. This crossing is open 24 hours a day through Lake Champlain Ferries and takes only 15 minutes to get from shore to shore. For travelers, this crossing is the most convenient way to connect Interstate 87 in New York to Interstate 89 in Vermont. And scenic enjoyment of beautiful Lake Champlain is an added pleasure!
The Plattsburgh-North Country Region is well situated for companies receiving goods transported by ship.
- The Port of Montreal is 60 miles (100 km) from Plattsburgh via Autoroute 15 and Interstate 87. Open year round, the port offers multimodal connections for rail and trucks.
- The Port of NY/NJ is straight south of Plattsburgh and can be accessed via Interstate 87 and 95 in about 5 hours.
- The inland Port of Albany is 3 hours south of Plattsburgh via Interstate 87.
- The Port of Ogdensburg on the St Lawrence River is 2 hours west of Plattsburgh.
International Border Crossing
The Champlain border crossing, where Autoroute 15 becomes Interstate 87, is the third busiest trucking crossing on the US/Canada border. Unconstrained by bridges or tunnels that limit ability to expand, the facility received a major upgrade and now features a separate commercial crossing and nine truck lanes, including a wide lane that is used for wind turbines and other oversized cargo on a regular basis. Champlain is considered the most efficient commercial gateway on the U.S. - Canada border.
- FAST and NEXUS trusted traveler program including designated lanes and enrollment centers
- Global Entry enrollment center
- 9 truck lanes
- 10 lanes for personally operated vehicles
- USDA APHIS Veterinary Services
- USDA Meat Inspection - at AN Deringer
- 24 Hour Operation 8 bay truck inspection facility
Border Wait Times